Gambesons and padded armour
Welcome, dear friends!
You've come to the section of padded armour, which is one of the most important elements for each customer who wears armour.
Wide range of our padded armour will undoubtedly please everyone, as Steel Mastery gives you the most interesting models of different ages.
In this section you will find:
1) Padded hoods and caps. You have already purchased a helmet, but have not bought for it a liner yet? You are on the right track, because we offer liners for all types of helmets: bascinet, barbute, sallet, Norman, Phrygian, Morion, Conic, chapel, for a helmet "sugar loaf". Also here you will find liner for a Great Helm, it also could be worn under the Pot Helm and Kettle Hat. You can wear mail hood over this padded set. This Great Helm liner is a full set of 4 pieces: - Padded pelerine with front leather fastenings - padded hood - cap - and padded ring.
These models are not designed for the separate wearing on head. They require the installation in the helmet with rivets or sewing. All our liners are made of 100% natural materials. Their convenient, simple, historically correct design provides safety and excellent buffing for bugurt, tournament fights and workouts. Ordering a liner, you can choose material and color of the product.
2) Gambesons. Probably no buyer can overpass this section, where there is an incredibly wide range of gambesons, aketons, pourpoints, doublets, jacques (jacks) and much more. Let’s try to understand what it is:
Gambeson in a broad sense is a padded jack, worn under or over an armour, or in a narrower context - quilted or printed fabric or leather long jacket, worn under the armour. It was also used as a separate kind of armour. Aketon - (the term "aketon" comes from borrowing from the Arabic language al-qutn "cotton") is a cotton or linen jacket, worn under the armour, composed of several layers of thick cloth or leather, quilted together. It can be both short-sleeved, and even without them. Sometimes leather cords were sewn to the sleeves of aketon to fix the armour. Doublet is a leather or fabric short jacket, worn under the plate armour. Unlike gambeson (in a narrow context) and aketon, doublet looked more like civilian clothes. Pourpoint is a fabric short padded jacket with a slim fit waist and puffed-up chest. Jacques (jack) is multi-layer fabric short jacket, used as separate infantry armour. Sometimes it was worn over the mail armour.
The products we offer are completely focused on customer’s requests. For tailoring of the submitted models of gambesons we use only natural materials. This provides not only sufficient level of protection, but also appropriate level of comfort. Gambeson cut options and used materials will satisfy both supporters of historical authority, and participants of SCA events, taking into account the practicality and convenience. The proposed site models take into account the various specifics of our gambesons. At the wish of the customer it can be machine or hand sewing.
As a set for gambeson warp we offer linen, silk, cotton, wool, velvet, leather and suede. For the lining of gambeson we use cotton, silk or linen.
Combination of two or four colored pieces is possible for the gambeson.
If you wish historical (mottos, names of city or area) and free nature inscriptions can be embroidered on the gambesons.
The sleeve of the gambeson can be completely sewn or with a hole under the armpit for better mobility.
Padding is done vertically, anatomically or rhomb-shaped.
The bottom edge of the gambeson can be decorated with festoons with configuration selected by the customer.
In case if the gambeson must be fastened we offer a choice of buttons (metal, cast bronze with ornaments, buttons covered with cloth) or leather lacing.
For the plate items' fastening to the gambeson we recommend to use additional leather straps on the sleeves.
It is possible to select the number of layers of padding (from 2 to 6) to create the padded armour of desired thickness.
3) Padded pelerines and aventails. Medieval helmet was never used separately. There was always extra mail or cloth protection with it for head, face, neck and shoulders. The helmet was often combined with aventail. This element of the armour is an addition to the bascinet or barbute types of helmet. Padded aventail is made of several layers. The outer shell is made of wool, cotton or linen, and the inner shell of cotton. We use only all-natural materials that provide comfort, reliability and functionality. The customer can choose between more than 10 colour of aventail. It protects the neck, shoulders and chest. The front top edge also protects the cheeks, which is especially important when using aventail with or without visor. Back lacing is expected for better fixation. This model of aventail can be used both with mail aventail, and without it. This is quite important element of equipment. Ignoring it can lead to undesirable outcomes as bruises or fractures.
Sufficient protection of the warrior in the battle was reached combining elements of armour. Each of them performed its function, complementing the others. Some armour protected from direct penetration of the enemy's weapons in the body. Others served to absorb the impact or for additional reinforcement. These elements include the pelerine, which was used as an addition to the helmet, gambeson or brigandine, and strengthened the protection of the neck, shoulders, shoulder blades and chest. We should not forget about these things selecting of armour. This is not only historically, but also functionally.
During the dramatizations of battles exactly head, shoulders and chest take the most blows. We offer padded pelerines. They are made of natural materials - linen and cotton. Pelerines are fastened with leather straps the on the front. The customer can choose the color of the fabric for sewing pelerines. More than a dozen different colors and shades are available.
We also offer leather pelerines. Our model consists of two parts - an outer shell is of the leather, an inner shell is made of linen. The pelerine fully covers the neck, shoulders and collarbones. It is fastened to the chest with leather straps. Leather colour can be black or brown. Both models of pelerines are quilted with square pattern.
In addition, here you will find padded collar, which we strongly recommend you wear for a better protection of neck. It completely covers the neck. The padding will allow taking a punch aimed at the sides of the helmet and neck area. The use of such things is an important component when choosing armour. Ignoring such protection could result serious injury while participating in duels. Collar is fastened with a leather strap on the front. In the manufacture of a collar we use natural materials: linen or cotton.
Do not forget that all the previously demonstrated elements of equipment we make according to your individual measurements.
4) Padded gauntlets and gloves. Here we suggest you familiarize yourself with not less important elements of the equipment – gauntlets and gloves. Gloves can be two-finger and three-finger. These padded gauntlets give a good protection for hands during swordcraft training or fencing.
In basic model they are made of: - outer shell and liner are made of 100 % natural uncolored homespun-kind cotton fabric - palm part is made of 2 layers - staffed with natural thick wadding
Available colors for cotton fabric: black, dark blue, sky blue, green (dark and light), red, white, yellow, brown and uncolored.
The base model is made of:
- The outer shell and lining made from 100% natural, uncolored, homespun, cotton;
- Part of the palm can be made of cotton or leather, stuffed with natural thick batting.
The buyer chooses the colors and sizes.
Customized gloves, can be made of leather, wool, may be covered by chain mail and have the insertion of buckskin.
5) Padded chausses. During the training sessions and fights feet are at risk without good protection. In order to avoid injury during fights, we suggest that you buy on our Steel Mastery website padded thigh protection and padded chausses.
Padded chausses are made of: outer shell and liner are made of natural fabrics. Straps are made from strong natural leather. There are holes for attaching to the gambeson. One layer of sheet wadding (natural material). Lacing (spiraling) on the calves for better fitting.
Padded thigh protection is made of: outer and inner shells are made of natural material and two layers of sheet wadding. Manufacturing is only by individual customer order due buyer measurements!
Padding for elbows and knees secures these parts of your body, supporting and fixing them mildly. Made from 100% natural homespun-kind fabric, stuffed with sheet wadding.
Leather padding as well protects elbows and knees. The outer shell is made of leather(black, brown or suede), inner shell is made of 100% natural homespun fabric, stuffed with sheet wadding.
If you are not sure, how to define your size, please have a look at this table.